Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Encircling: Cliche-Busting

My concept paper is about the topic of marriage, so in order to get a start on understanding and explaining the concept of marriage I'm going to attempt to "bust" the cliche "LOVE IS BLIND."

Here we go!

Deconstructing: The saying "love is blind" assumes that love creates this false reality in your mind that tells you to ignore the faults and flaws in another person or the relationship itself. Maybe it doesn't even tell you to ignore them, maybe you never saw them to begin with. I find this hard to believe. When we make a choice to love another, sometimes we also choose to filter out what we don't want to see so we can focus on what suits us. This implies that we put on this "blindness," and therefore it is not a result of being in love, but a result of our projection on the other person and our desire for a "perfect", albeit false reality. Love itself is unpredictable because humans are unpredictable.

New Definition: Love is a series of choices and unpredictable moments that reflect our emotional attachment and affect our psyche with the intent of drawing us closer to those we love.

Whew! That was difficult! :)

3 comments:

Jessica said...

I believe that the writing accomplished what it sent out to do, however there a few things that I would have done differently. I think that the definition could have been elaborated on a little better. I like the deconstructing section where you talk about the cliche implying that love creates a false reality, this really helps pull apart the cliche and look at it in a different light. This writing did change the way I look at this cliche and also given me a good example of how to bust a cliche.

alisone33 said...

I like how you chose something you seem to be familiar with and it interests you. You start by telling us that there is a thing we all do when we decide to love someone, we look past their flaws and chose to ignore them. You state this in the beginning and it sort of caught me off guard. I wasn’t expecting something like that. When reading the rest of the selection I began to understand what we really do when we love someone. You end by saying that love is unpredictable because humans are unpredictable. I really agree with that. Good job, I think you hit the nail on the head with this one!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I know you said it was hard, but you made it look easy! I enjoyed the path that you took the reader on through the "bust". I like the part where you deconstruct the cliche. It really gets on all angles of it.
Also, on a side note-really pretty wedding pic on your blog!
Thanks!
Crystal